Pumpkin Crunch Cake ~ everything the name implies!
Loaded with pumpkin fall spices that are perfectly balanced (if I do say so myself!)
Cream cheese icing with pumpkin cake is my all time favorite combination of cake & icing.
The crunch for this cake? Granola Cereal! Kashi GoLean Crunch to be exact!
I know you may be thinking, “Cereal” Really?” But it worked perfectly!
Super crunchy and the flavors of that honey and almond with the pumpkin and cream cheese!? How many times can I say perfection!? LOL
Now of course many of you may not want to use the cereal for whatever reason, or you may not be able to get it.
You can substitute the crunch part with anything really! How about crushed wafer cookies like I used in my Orange Crunch cake?
My cowboy cookie recipe was going to be a second option if the cereal didn’t work out, or just make up some granola of your own to use; honestly anything you like will work great!
This is quite a large recipe and it made 4 beautiful layers of 7″ cake. Yes I am obsessed with 7″ cakes lately, even though my recipes yield 8″ cake layers.
Just fill the pans half full with batter no matter what pan size you use and you will be OK.
The cream cheese icing recipe can easily be turned into cream cheese buttercream if you prefer, so you see this cake is very open to changes!
Just have fun and I know you will love the outcome!
- For the Pumpkin Cake
- All Purpose Flour 3 cups (375g)
- Baking Powder 1½ teaspoons (7g)
- Baking Soda 1½ teaspoon (7g)
- Ground Cinnamon 2 teaspoons
- Ground Nutmeg ½ teaspoon
- Ground Ginger 1½ teaspoons
- Cocoa Powder 1 Tablespoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon (3g)
- Unsalted Butter 1½ cup (340g)
- Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200g)
- Light Brown Sugar ½ cup (100g)
- Eggs large 3 (150g)
- Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons (10ml)
- Pumpkin 1½ cups (425g)
- For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- Cream Cheese 6 Cups (1360g)
- Unsalted Butter 16 Tablespoons (226g)
- Confectioners Sugar 4 cups (480g)
- Clear Vanilla Extract 3 teaspoons (15ml)
- Kashi Go Lean Cereal for garnish
- For the Pumpkin Cake:
- Cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy (approx 5 minutes)
- Combine the eggs with the vanilla extract and then add slowly to the creamed butter/sugar mixture.
- Be sure to scrape the bottom & sides of the bowl often if you do not have a metro blade attachment as I do in the video.
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder, soda, cocoa powder and all the spices and salt all at once and mix just until combined
- Add the pumpkin last mix well.
- Divide batter into greased and parchment lined cake pans
- Bake at 350°F for approx 28 – 35 minutes or until they are done
- Cool while you prepare the cream cheese icing
- For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- Smooth out the cream cheese, but do not whip on high speed.
- Add the softened butter and mix the two together until smooth.
- Add the sifted confectioners sugar all at once and mix just until blended.
- Add the vanilla extract
- Proceed to build the cake as per the video instructions
- Kashi Go Lean Cereal for garnish optional
For best taste it can be brought to room temperature for about 1-3 hours for serving but be sure to get the remainder back into the refrigerator for longer storage.
This cake will stay fresh for up to 1 week wrapped airtight in the refrigerator
The post Pumpkin Crunch Cake appeared first on Gretchen's Bakery.